3.29.2008

Look out Martha!

So, as most of you know, this past Christmas my wonderful husband bought me a Kitchenaid Mixer, which I was quite excited about...much to the surprise of my family.While I have never been known to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, cooking and baking is something I have been wanting to learn and enjoy. While registering for wedding gifts, my then soon-to-be sister-in-law (Lisa) even asked Ronnie, "Why do you guys have so much kitchen stuff on your list? Michelle doesn't cook." And she was right! Even Ronnie was wondering why we needed all the "gadgets" we were registering for. Shortly after our shipment arrived in Ecuador with all of our wedding gifts (and all those fun gadgets) I began to put them to use. After all, I had to prove Ronnie wrong...and I did. He can testify on my behalf that I have used EVERY gadget, platter, baking sheet and kitchen related gift we received! :) I even proved to him the usefulness of the cake/cupcake caddy I had to have when we took cupcakes to the Marine house for the Super Bowl Party.

Ok, back to the Kitchenaid. I guess proving that I will actually use all of these fun new "toys" got me the mixer. In the last 3 months I have been trying to find any excuse to use it. I've made mashed potatoes, frostings, cakes, truffles and today I decided to make my FIRST bread! (Ok, we're talking a "quick" bread...no yeast needed.) I had some very ripe bananas that were ready to be trashed when I decided to find a recipe for banana bread. It seemed simple enough so I got out the mixer and away I went. I was quite nervous being that this was the first non-boxed "bread" I've ever made. Especially with everyone telling me how difficult t is to bake here because of the high altitude. After only 20 minutes the house smelled fabulous...what I hoped was a good sign.

And success!! After letting it cool, I popped it out of the pan and cut into it. Perfect! :) I'm so proud. I just wish there were someone here to share it with. I know I won't eat all of it so I'll probably take it into work.
Don't worry Ronnie, I'll make one just for you when you come home.

2 comments:

Sof said...

We are both trying to do more in the kitchen lately! The bread looks delicious! YUM-O! :o)

Mom said...

I'm impressed. xoxoxoxoxoo

Related Posts with Thumbnails