8.01.2008

How we found out...

As most of you know, Ronnie and I decided that after our honeymoon we would start trying to get pregnant. Lucky for us, it didn't take long at all! Our honeymoon was from April 28 to May 1. The last week in May we decided to take a pregnancy test. (A friend at work had a few left over from when she and her husband were trying, she passed them on to me so we used those.) We took the first test on a Friday and it was a pretty clear negative. That weekend, Ronnie went on a fishing trip with some of the guys. He returned on Sunday and for some reason on Monday morning he suggested I take another test. Not thinking it would really be any different, I took the second test. This time it was a clear POSITIVE. Now, this was the last of the hand-me-down tests we had on hand...which, expired in May, by the way. We went to work and vowed to go directly to the drugstore on our way home. We bought 2 types...just to be safe. As soon as we got home I went straight to the bathroom to put the tests to work. The first, as quick as could be was another positive. Still not believing it, we decided to use the other one, as well. Again, positive!



Ronnie and I were both excited, but reluctant to really celebrate until we had it confirmed by a doctor. After all, these were Ecuadorian tests I was using. The very next day I called the one English speaking OB/GYN recommended by the Embassy. It was June 2nd and the first appointment they had was for June 19. Almost 3 weeks! We were bummed to have to wait that long, but had no other choice.
During the weeks leading up to our appointment we went to a few get togethers. Of course people offered me a beer, a glass of wine, etc. I politely declined. Some people immediately got suspicious and asked if I was pregnant. We completely denied it and told everyone I had a cardiologist appointment coming up and I was trying to watch my blood pressure. Thanks to my history everyone bought it!
On June 19th we eagerly made or way over to the doctors office. Because everyone in Quito gets pregnant (there were at least 7 babies born last year), we were sure we would bump into someone we knew from the Embassy. Luckily, we didn't. The doctor saw us and not more than 2 minutes into his exam confirmed the pregnancy. Based on my last menstrual cycle, it was estimated that I was 7 weeks along. He then sent us to have an ultrasound. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but the doctor quickly found the baby and we saw the cute little blob on the screen. We could see some movement, which we were told was the heart beating. Then the doctor turned on the sound and to our surprise, we heard the heartbeat. It was amazing. I think we were both in shock at that point and it made it all very real. Surprisingly, as emotional as both Ronnie and I are, neither of us cried happy tears. I think we may have been too shocked for it to really hit us.
We went back to work as if nothing had changed. When we got home at the end of the day, Ronnie mentioned some boxes he needed to get out of the car. When he came back, he walked me (backwards) out to the dining room then turned me around to see this:

I think that's when it hit me and I cried like a baby. The note on the card said:So sweet, and such a surprise!

3 comments:

Sof said...

OMG, I teared up reading this blog! What a sweet story & the flowers were beautiful! :o)

Mom said...

Awwww! How sweet! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH,I know your going to make great parents.
lOVE YOU GRANDMA XOXOXOX

Related Posts with Thumbnails