8.06.2009

Miscellany

I'm still catching up after Mom and Dad's visit, but I soon hope to be posting here more frequently. We had a GREAT time with them. I'll try to post pictures before the weekend is over. Some random things I wanted to share:

  • I'm going to *try* to blog about other things here besides Kaitlyn. I know she is really the reason most people visit the blog, but this place is kind of like a journal for me. A place to "record" thoughts and what's going on in our lives. It's always fun to look back at even the most random entries. I may try to incorporate more of my "other" blog, which I haven't updated in over a year. So, the two shall merge. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of Kaitlyn updates, pictures and videos.
  • As I mentioned here a couple of months ago, Ron and I received awards from the State Department. The award I received was a Superior Honor Award. The State Dept. describes it as: The Superior Honor Award is presented to groups or individuals in recognition of a special act or service or sustained extraordinary performance covering a period of one year or longer. Along with my plaque, I also received a monetary award. I had forgotten about it until recently and figured that it would just sit in my bank account and eventually get used for diapers and formula if I don't spend it on myself. Afterall, I worked my butt off for it ,so why shouldn't I use the money to reward myself? And that's when I realized that I can finally get the one thing I have been bugging Ronnie about the most. :) So, yesterday I purchased this beauty:I am so excited to receive it. I have been doing lots of research and educating myself on all of the features and about photography in general so I can use it as it was meant to be used. Yay! Hopefully, you'll see a difference in my pictures. (If you don't, just lie to me.)
  • One of my newest interests (also pertaing to photography) is Alphabet Photography. I have seen this type of gift before and thought it was so unique. Here's a example of what I'm talking about. I figured it must not be that difficult to do, you just have to be creative enough to look for the letters. So, I decided to try make my own. I thought it was the perfect farewell gift for our friends who were leaving Quito. I wanted to use "letters" from around Ecuador to remind them of their time here. This is the finished product: The "K" is from The Black Sheep Inn, a very cute lodge we took a roadtrip to with the King's. The "I" is from The Panecillo, the "N" is from Mitad del Mundo and the "G" is from the Basilica del Voto Nacional. I love how it turned out and now I'm obsessed with finding letters throughout the city so I can make on for us.
  • I've also been helping my friend Sofia setup a blog/website to promote her photography business Sofia Miranda Photography. She's quite talented and I've enjoyed helping her.
  • Ron has been busy planning our trip to the Galapagos Islands next month. It's going to be great! I hope to get some great pictures with my new camera! We'll also be going to Cleveland and Miami for some time with family. So much to look forward to!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails