8.27.2009

Website review: Ebates.com

I’ve wanted to share this info with everyone for a while, but I decided to wait to make sure it was legit. This may seem like a sales pitch, but it really is an honest review of a great website that can save you money.

As you can imagine, living overseas means not being able to get many of the State-side products we’re used to. While we could definitely get by on many of the local products, there are just some things that are either too hard to live without or just better quality when made in the good ol’ USA (or China, or Pakistan). Ok, maybe I should say better when bought from the good ol’ USA. I’m sure if our family were living this overseas experience many years ago, we would just grin and bear, but thanks to the lovely invention called the internet, we (mostly) don’t have to!

I do a lot of online shopping. And no, it’s not all frivolous purchases just to buy something so I can get the joy of receiving packages in the mail…although that is fun, too. I’d say about 80% of what I buy online are baby products. This is mainly due to 2 things: 1) the quality of baby products is so much better in the States and 2) most of the products are much cheaper in the States. Of course, I also occasionally purchase clothes, gifts, greeting cards. So, over the last 2 years I’ve made many online purchases. And it wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I learned about how I could be saving some money by shopping through Ebates. What Is Ebates?
Ebates is a referral website. You visit Ebates and they refer you to hundreds of online stores. By doing this, Ebates receives a kickback from the store you purchase from. The best part is, Ebates shares that kickback with you.

How does it Work?
Here is their quick version of how it works. My understanding is: You register and create a FREE account with Ebates. (If you decide to register, please
click here. Yes, I will receive a referral bonus if you register through me. Consider it a thank you to me for sharing this info with you.☺) Once you’re all set up, browse the site looking for stores you want to buy from. You can either search for a specific store or search for a specific product and it will show you which stores have the product. Ebates also brings up any coupons, discounts or sales that are available for each product or store. Once you find the store or product you are looking for, Ebates will open a new window taking you to the store. It is very important that you do your shopping through the window that Ebates opens. If you close it then go to the store’s site directly, you won’t earn the cash back. Each store will earn you a different percent of cash back. I do most of my shopping at drugstore.com, so I earn 6% cash back from my total purchase.

How do you get paid?
The only “catch” (which, really isn’t a catch just an inconvenience) is it can take a while to get the money. Ebates sends out cash back checks quartlery based on the schedule below.

Also, in order for them to send you a check, you have to have a minimum of $5.01 of earned cash. Earned cash is from purchases only, not “bonus” cash you receive from registering or referring friends. If you earn less than $5.01 in a quarter, the money carries over until you reach the minimum ($5.01) needed. So, depending on how much online shopping you do and which stores you shop from, it could take a while. I started using Ebates in late May of this year and yesterday I received my first check!

How do I persnally use it?
I have stores I regularly shop from (drugstore.com, Target.com) and I always purchase from those stores through Ebates. However, if I’m shopping for something specific I’ll do a search on Google to find the best price. Once I find it, I’ll check Ebates to see if they offer cash back from that store. A perfect example: A few weeks ago, Ron saw some work shoes he wanted to buy at our local mall, but knew they would be cheaper to buy online. We searched for the shoes online and found that Florsheim.com offered the lowest price. Ron was ready to make the purchase, but before he did I quickly checked Ebates to see if they offered cash back with Florsheim and they did! We got the best price and an additional 4% back! I know it doesn’t seem like much, but I purchase diapers and formula quite often so those small percentages add up.

What stores can you buy from?
There are SO many stores that you can shop from through Ebates. I’m always surprised at which stores I find and they are always adding more. These are some of the more popular ones:
Target, Drugstore, Walmart, Overstock, Old Navy, Macy’s, JCPenney, Ebay...I could go on and on.

For those of you that don’t shop online very often, it may not benefit you as much. But if you do shop online regularly, there’s really no reason not to shop through Ebates. For more info, you can visit Ebates Help Section. Happy shopping!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails