When she was very tiny I didn't like the idea of putting those elastic headbands on her because I thought they looked uncomfortable and silly. It wasn't until my sister gave me a "Baby's 1st Fourth" outift that came with a thicker, cotton headband that I tried on Kaitlyn and thought she looked adorable (as seen here). I have since looked for more headbands like that, but have found NOTHING. My sister-in-law gave me a pink one when we were home last month and it looked just as cute:
I wanted to share some pumpkin recipes I've made recently.
Pumpkin Penne Pasta (from Parents Magazine)
As soon as I saw this recipe in this month's issue I knew I had to try it. I just happened to have
1 12 oz box whole-wheat penne
1 Tbs olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (You can use onion or 2 tsp. of onion powder instead)
1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried parsley)
1-1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
--Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot, cover to keep warm.
--While the pasta is cooking, in a sauce pan heat oil on medium heat. Add shallot/onion, cook and stir until tender about 3 minutes. Whisk in broth, evaporated milk, pumpkin, spice salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
--Toss pasta with sauce. Spoon into bowls and top with parsley and cheese. Makes 6 cups.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Cake (from High Heels and Sweatshirts)
I found this recipe last year while browsing through some blogs. It is so quick and easy! I made one last night to serve at a dinner party we're having tomorrow night.
1 can pumpkin
2 quart container of vanilla ice cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon each salt, cinammon, nutmeg, and ginger
2 pre-made graham cracker crusts
--Mix together the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, cinammon, nutmeg and ginger.
--Sir in the ice cream until well blended.
--Pour the pumpkin mixture into the two graham cracker crusts, cover and place into the freezer overnight. The next day, you simply cut and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
See this post for pictures of the process.
Pumpkin Pie Cake
A friend gave me this recipe two years ago after she made it for Thanksgiving dinner. This has to be my favorite pumpkin recipe (so far)! I've already made one this season and I doubt it won't be the only I make before pumpkin season is over.
1 box yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup for topping)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 16 oz. can of pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup cream or milk
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 chopped pecans
--Mix crust ingredients and press into 9x13 baking dish.
--Combine filling ingredients and pour over crust.
--Mix first three topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over filling. Put pecans on top.
--Bake at 350 degree for 40-45 minutes
--Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Enjoy and let me know if you try any of them!
And because a post is no good without pictures, here are a couple of Kaitlyn taken in the last few days. (I'm not sure why the quality is so poor.)
Here's some video of Kaitlyn standing up:
From the moment I bought my Canon Rebel camera, I knew I wanted to get a fun, new camera strap cover for it. The standard strap cover is nice, but kind of boring. I checked out etsy.com and found some I really liked, I just couldn't see spending $35+ dollars for a new camera strap.
(Photo credit: etsy seller bonecalinda)
I decided to look online for some tutorials and I found quite a few. The best tutorial I found was on a site Made by Petchy. I recently bought some fabric online and decided tonight I would give it a try. As I was working on the project, a few 4 letter words may have slipped out of my mouth and at one point, I thought for sure I had messed up and it wasn't going to work at all. I decided to keep going and see if I could make it work. Once the sewing was finished, I slipped the cover on and it actually fit!!! I couldn't believe it. Again, it's not perfect and could actually classify as "sloppy", but it will work for now. And for my first project I'm calling it a success. :) Here's what a sample of a standard camera strap (I forgot to take a before picture):
I love it!! :)
Other reasons why I love fall:
- Football season. I know, the Noles haven't exactly been the stellar team I always remember them being this season, but I still love them. Football season in general is just fun! I so wish we could be enjoy tailgating and game-watching parties in Miami.
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes. YUM! I love these. Luckily, when we were home I was able to indulge in my Starbucks addiction and the Pumpkin Spice line was already out, so I enjoyed one or two of these. Over the past few years I've learned to enjoy all things pumpkin.
- Fall TV. My favorite shows are back and Ron and I will once again have a full DVR every night! A new show we are loving: Modern Family on ABC. It is pure hilarity!
- weighs approximately 15 lbs. 2 oz.
- is wearing size 6-9 month clothes.
- is still in size 2 diapers, but will move up to 3 soon.
- took a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Galapagos Islands.
- has started waving.
- will clap sporadically, not quite on cue yet.
- is moving, moving, moving. She hasn't quite mastered crawling yet, but can definitely get around.
- can go from laying on her belly to sitting up on her own.
- can pull herself up to a standing position. She loves to stand!
- started eating meats...chicken, turkey and beef and loves it!
- has discovered a new pitch to her voice and likes to use it. (Loud squeal) Mommy and Daddy don't think it's as cute.