10.29.2009

All About Pumpkins!


I've been on a Pumpkin kick lately!  It wasn't until I was in my mid-20s that I actually started liking pumpkin.  All those years I passed on the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving...I'm making up for it now!  Now I love pumpkin in everything...bread, pasta, muffins, pancakes, lattes, etc.

I wanted to share some pumpkin recipes I've made recently.

Pumpkin Penne Pasta (from Parents Magazine)
As soon as I saw this recipe in this month's issue I knew I had to try it.  I just happened to have all most of the ingredients on hand so I made this last night.  It was delicioso!

INGREDIENTS:
1 12 oz box whole-wheat penne
1 Tbs olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (You can use onion or 2 tsp. of onion powder instead)
1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried parsley)
1-1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated

DIRECTIONS:
--Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot, cover to keep warm.
--While the pasta is cooking, in a sauce pan heat oil on medium heat. Add shallot/onion, cook and stir until tender about 3 minutes. Whisk in broth, evaporated milk, pumpkin, spice salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
--Toss pasta with sauce. Spoon into bowls and top with parsley and cheese. Makes 6 cups.

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Cake (from High Heels and Sweatshirts)
I found this recipe last year while browsing through some blogs.  It is so quick and easy!  I made one last night to serve at a dinner party we're having tomorrow night.

INGREDIENTS:
1 can pumpkin
2 quart container of vanilla ice cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon each salt, cinammon, nutmeg, and ginger
2 pre-made graham cracker crusts

DIRECTIONS:
--Mix together the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, cinammon, nutmeg and ginger.
--Sir in the ice cream until well blended.
--Pour the pumpkin mixture into the two graham cracker crusts, cover and place into the freezer overnight. The next day, you simply cut and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
See this post for pictures of the process.

Pumpkin Pie Cake
A friend gave me this recipe two years ago after she made it for Thanksgiving dinner.  This has to be my favorite pumpkin recipe (so far)!  I've already made one this season and I doubt it won't be the only I make before pumpkin season is over.

INGREDIENTS:
Crust:
1 box yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup for topping)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg

Filling:
1 16 oz. can of pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup cream or milk
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping:
1 cup cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
--Mix crust ingredients and press into 9x13 baking dish.
--Combine filling ingredients and pour over crust.
--Mix first three topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over filling.  Put pecans on top.
--Bake at 350 degree for 40-45 minutes
--Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Enjoy and let me know if you try any of them!

1 comment:

Sofia Miranda said...

I have to try out those recipes, I too love pumpkin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails