10.21.2010

I'm Running

Towards the end of my pregnancy with Jonathan I knew I needed to have a game plan for getting back into shape once he was born.  And I don't mean back into the shape I was in before Jonathan.  I'm thinking back into the shape I was in before Kaitlyn.  And maybe even before moving to Ecuador.  Maybe even before that.  Ok, maybe that's pushing it.

I haven't been as active as I know I should have been in the last few years and although there was a time where I didn't really need to exercise all that much to stay thin, I'm very aware that those days are long gone. And now that I'm a mom of two it's going to take some serious work to shed the pounds. 

So, my plan?  My plan is to run.  Run a 10k race by my 35th birthday, to be exact.  I'm not a runner and I have never enjoyed running.  But after recently reading some magazine articles and some blogs about running, I got inspired to want to learn to run.  And to learn to love it.

I hear/read about people with no prior running experience who push themselves to run that next mile no matter how much they hate it.  Then one day it just hits them...the runner's high.  Then they find themselves looking forward to their next run.  And the next thing you know, the ones that hated running are now loving it and running marathons.  I'm not saying I ever see myself running a marathon, but I'd like to kick my butt into gear and get active.  And my 10K-by-my-35th-birthday goal is how I'm going to do it.

I'm starting by using a training program called Couch to 5K (a.k.a C25K).  It's designed to get people who are not active (couch potatoes) able to run a 5K in 9 weeks.  Once I complete that program, I hope to move on to a 10K training program.  I may not be setting my goal high enough.  After all, the C25K is only 9 weeks, but I also don't want to set too high of a goal because then it will seem unachievable.  If I reach my goal sooner than expected then that will just be icing on the cake.

I bought some new running shoes and a cute running outfit to get me motivated and so far it's working!  I started the program 2 weeks ago and up to now I'm really enjoying it.  I've been running first thing in the morning before Ron leaves for work.  I love starting my day this way.  Once the run is over, I can get on with my day and it's not something I'm dreading later.  Because the C25K only has me running 3 days a week, I'm hoping to start doing the 30-Day Shred on my off days.
I'm writing about this on the blog to keep me honest and to hold myself accountable.  Once I share it on the internet, then I HAVE to do it, right?  I'll share my progress and/or set backs here.  Feel free to heckle me if I get lazy.  That may be just what I need to get back off the couch!

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Good on ya Michelle!

Related Posts with Thumbnails