2.28.2011

C25K Update--I'm doing it!

It's been a while since I've posted about my progress (or lack thereof) with the Couch to 5K program.  I admit I got a little lazy, had to skip some runs because life got in the way, but I am officially back on the program and LOVING it! 

I must have spent a total of 5 weeks trying to get beyond Week 4 of the program.  The first time I finished Week 4 and looked ahead to what Week 5 would include, I was scared.  The three runs for Week 5 look like this:
  • Day 1 - 5 minute warm up, 8 minute jog, 5 minute walk, 8 minute jog, 5 minute cool down
  • Day 2 - same as Day 1
  • Day 3 - 5 minute warmup, 20 minute run, 5 minute cool down...this seemed CRAZY to me!
When I saw that I was supposed to do a 20 minute run, I didn't feel ready.  I decided to repeat Week 4, just to make sure I'd be prepared to successfully complete Week 5.  That's when life got in the way...Kaitlyn's birthday, sick kids, etc, etc, etc...and a little bit of laziness thrown in there.  I finally got back to it and got through Week 4.  During that same week, Ron and I did a few extra runs at a local track.  During one of those runs, we decided we'd do one complete lap (1K) with no walking, just to see if I could do it.  When I was just about to finish the lap, I realized I felt good and I could keep going, so we did another lap!  I couldn't believe I ran 2K without stopping!  It felt really great!

The next week, I started Week 5 and yesterday was the day I was to run 20 minutes straight.  I was nervous, but felt pretty confident that I could do it.  Well, I did...and I could have kept going!  :)  I'm so proud of my progress.  It feels great to actually see an improvement in my endurance and after yesterday I really look forward to working my way up to running a full 5K.  To keep me motivated, I acutally signed up for my first a couple of races!

The 2011 Jerusalem Marathon on March 25th:

and the Tel Aviv Marathon, on April 8th!
I will be competing in the 10% Race in both, which techinically makes them 4.2K. But there is another race in April that I plan on doing...an actual 5K.

Check out the route of the TLV 10% Race on the map below.  Assuming we have nice weather, it should be a lovely run with a view of the sea.


I'm very excited to actually be doing this and a little nervous that the first race is less than a month away, but I think I'll be ready--I HOPE I'll be ready.  I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Mama G said...

Ihave faith in you. YOU CAN DO IT! xoxo

Grandma said...

so proud of you,doing a GREAT job. Amazing that with 2 children you can find the time.You go girl.
Love you xoxoxox

Dad said...

You are doing great! Keep up the good work and stay safe!
Xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails