6.07.2011

FICPA 1040K Race Recap & Running Update

The last time I ran was almost a month ago.  It was my first official 5K race, part of the FICPA 1040K on April 15th in Coconut Grove, FL and it was awesome!  It was an evening race that started shortly before 7pm.  The weather in South Florida was more humid than I was used to running in so I wondered if it would make finishing more difficult than the 4.2K we completed exactly one week earlier in Tel Aviv.  Luckily, it didn't seem to make much of a difference and I felt great and easily finished the race.
Here were my stats:
Finish time: 36:08
Placed 23 out of 38 females for my age group (30-34 yo)
Placed 259 out of 380 overall

It was my fastest time for that distance and I was happy with my numbers.  As with the Tel Aviv race, I didn't come in last so I consider it a success! 

We spent the next 2 weeks visiting family and friends in Miami.  Although I should have, I didn't get any other runs in while on vacation.  I figured I'd take a break and get back to it when we returned to Israel.  Upon our return, we had quite a few rough nights with the kids adjusting to the 7 hour time difference.  I vowed to start running again "next week" when we would all be better rested.  Then this happened on May 9th:
I did that nice work while running up the stairs to get a better view of a neighborhood fireworks show.  So not worth it, by the way.  Since then I've been sporting this summery new boot:
I'm not exactly sure how long I'll be wearing it.  It's been 4 weeks and has been very frustrating to say the least.  The hardest part was not being able to drive, which as of last week I've decided to do anyway (against doctors' orders).  I just couldn't stand being on house arrest with 2 kids at home any longer!  I take the boot off in the car and put it back on when I get to my destination.  Other than the no driving, I've missed running the most.  I'm really sad that after all the work I put into training, I've spent the last month sitting on my butt.  I was really hoping to run my first 10K in the Fall in the Nike Tel Aviv Night Run, but that will all depend on my recovery.  After seeing 2 local orthopedists who said the boot would be enough (after 6-8 weeks), I now have some Stateside doctors recommending surgery.  So I'm not sure how long it will be until I can run again and I don't know if I'll have enough time to train for the 10K.  I guess at this point, I just want to make sure I do whatever is needed so that I heal properly.

So, that's where I'm at.  I go back to my local doctor next week and in the meantime I'll be checking out my options for possible surgery.  Either way, wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Michelle...my heart breaks for you! I know how difficult staying home is and I can't imagine not being able to get out much especially during summer! Will be keeping you in our prayers - we hope you heal quickly and without the need for surgery.
Love, Trish (Nick, Brandon and Ashley too)

Related Posts with Thumbnails