11.08.2011

Race recap: Nike Nightrun Tel Aviv 2011

One week ago I acheived my goal of completing a 10K race before my 35th birtdhay (with a couple of months to spare)!  It was a great race--a huge party atmosphere with lots of music and dancing.  There were an estimated 15,000 people there and several DJs blaring music along the route, which made for an exciting, but crowded run.
 
Ron decided to run with me and I'm so happy he did.  It was nice having him there throughout and to cross the finish line with me.  We kept a pretty slow and steady pace.  By about the 6th km, I was feeling really good (minus some knee pain) and decided I'd pick up the pace for the last 2km.  When we got to the 8th km, I started dodging in and out of the crowd and passed some people.  That lasted all of about 1 minute, but it was fun.  I figured maybe I'd wait until the last km to finish strong.  Well, once I got to the final km, I was hurting.  My knees were really bothering me and I had a sharp pain running up the right side of my torso.  I figured if I was going to finish the race without walking, I better just keep chugging along at my slow pace.  It was a great feeling to run across the finish line!  All I wanted to do was walk around and cool off, but because of the crowds we basically came to a stand still.  It was really annoying, but won't deter me from running the race again next year.
I haven't run since the race.  Mainly because I haven't been in the mood, but I've also decided I really need a new pair of running shoes.  I have stupidly been running in the same pair I bought when I first started training a little over a year ago.  They are worn out and not giving me the support I need anymore, which is more than likely why my knees were hurting so much during the race.  My knees ache at the thought of running so I'm going to wait for a new pair before I hit the pavement again.  
 My Race Stats
Time: 1:16:18
Category (Women) Rank: 3000 out of 3533
Overall rank: 11,709 out of 12,541
I'm guessing that the categories were just men and women.  I can't find (or translate) any other details.  I'm also guessing there were more than 12,541 people there, but maybe that number was just those that ran with the timing chip.  Who knows.

My stats are nothing to brag about, but I never walked and that's all that mattered to me.  Maybe one day I'll start working on running at a faster pace.
I'm bummed that I didn't get a Finish Line picture or one of me after the race with my medal, but the end was so frustrating that I just wanted to geto the car and get home.  All photos here were taken from the Nike Running Israel Facebook Page.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails