11.01.2011

Running Update/Race Day

It has been 1 year and 11 days since my first post about my journey into the world of becoming a "runner" and publicly declaring my goal to run a 10K race by my 35th birthday.  Since then, I've completed the Couch to 5K training program and competed in two races: the 10% race of the 2011 TLV Marathon and the 5K race of the FICPA 1040K.  A few weeks after the FIPCA race, I broke my foot.  After 5 weeks of wearing a walking boot and contemplating surgery and another few weeks of taking it easy, I finally started running again.  I signed up for the Nike Night Run Tel Aviv, a 10K race through the streets of Tel Aviv that starts at 8p.m.  To prepare for the race, I used the "Ease into 10K" program, which is a continuaton of the Couch to 5K, but a couple of weeks into the program, I began to get a little bored and each run seemed to drag out and felt more like a chore than something I was enjoying.  One day I decided to ditch the program and just see how far I could run without walking.  It was an amazing day!  I ended up running 5K that day and found that I could enjoy running again.  I never went back to using the program.
Tonight is the Nike Night Run and I'm happy to say I'm ready...I hope! :)  I haven't trained as much as I should have in the last few weeks, but I think I should be ok.  Just as with the previous races, my goal is to cross the finish line, not walk and not finish last.  My last good run was exactly 2 weeks ago when I ran 5.56 miles.  I've only run twice since then and neither run was anything spectacular.  The weather has cooled off significantly so it should be a nice night.  I'm crossing my fingers that with the cool temps and the energy from the crowd, I'll be pumped enough to do it despite my slack in training.

I'm super excited that I could protentially achieve my goal tonight.  Honestly, I know I could have done more.  Now that I know what I'm capable of, I know I could (theoretically) be running longer distances.  The broken foot definitely didn't help, but I know I didn't train nearly as hard or as often as I could have.  I still feel like I've come a long way, though.  And I'm proud of my accomplishments.  Stay tuned for a recap of the race.
I love the shirt!  Obviously the "Catch Me If You Can" slogan doesn't exactly pertain to me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails